Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013- I will never forget you


Facebook and my pastor's sermon have together inspired me to write a year in review for 2013. What a BIG YEAR!

One year ago today I had no idea. I had no idea that we would be matched.  I had no idea what a great adventure awaited us. I had no idea how much God loved me.  I had no idea that there was this miracle son would be in our lives for Christmas of 2013.

GOD
Before entering this journey, I would have completely trusted in my belief that God loved me.  But this journey showed me that I had little loop holes, where I believed I wasn't lovable enough, and that the God of the Universe couldn't love me as much as he loved others.  If I have learned one thing in this journey, it is that I could not be any more wrong.  GOD is FAITHFUL.  He sustained me.  I hurt during this adoption.  There were moments it was painful.  And time and time again, God sent his reminders that he was always with me.  And he is with me still as I praise him from the mountain top. And he loves me more than is imaginable and has always loved me that much.

FRIENDS AND FAMILY
I am blessed with so many. This journey has highlighted this abundance. In 2013, so MANY joined my family in prayer and faithfully held us through the prayer calendar.  People gave us money, prayed with us, let me cry on them, and freak out. My sister lived in our home to care for our pets and house.  And my other sister traveled to a far away land to help us bring home our son.   And now that M is home and in our family, he is so loved by these same amazing people.

SATAN
Well, he is real.  I would have never been so self-important as to believe that I or my family would be the target of spiritual warfare.  After all, I provide all of the barriers to my relationship with Christ that are needed and then some.  So, imagine my surprise when I start to realize we were under attack. This may sound a little out there, but when you find out an organ needs to be removed from your body, your told you might die if you go to Africa (the day before your leave), and then the next day, your tree falls down and you find out that you SHOULD NOT COME TO AFRICA in an email as your are boarding your plane, you start to wonder about some things.  As I started to wonder about these phenomena, I looked around at the other families that were adopting and caring for orphans, and guess what!?!?  They were also under attack.  I guess I write this to help shed light on this.  The opposition DOES NOT want us to care for God's children.  So if you know someone doing just that, pray for them.  Dear Church, reach out to them.  Adoption offers enough challenges, adding Satan's battering can be a lot to bear.  ON A BRIGHTER NOTE, Satan doesn't win, and God makes all things work together for good. 



M
At the beginning of 2013, M was a concept.  He wasn't real.  We didn't know who he was, where he was, when he would join us.  And then the amazing day in February came and we learned of our young young son.  The months passed, and our paperwork continued to hold up our family finally coming together. AND THEN THERE WAS JULY! and M joined us. AT NINE MONTHS.  The exact age that my husband and I said "wouldn't it be great if we were matched with a nine month old" 2.5 years before, when we started this journey. When we met, M was wide-eyed, still, immobile sleepy, super compliant, quiet. We have watched M transform into something completely different! M is now opinionated.  LOUD. Active. Loving. Needing. Demanding. Laughing. Joyful. He still has big eyes, but the look of being alone is gone. It is such an honor to be his mother.

Rosebud
She has her brother.  Completely and innocently oblivious as to how typcial families grow, she is ready for us to 'go back on the plane, and this time get a sister'.  And she doesn't want a baby sister. She wants someone she can play with ;)  A great and loving big sister! we often have to help her learn to show her affection in ways that M prefers.(Not many people want constant in your face lovin's). She shows him off to whomever will entertain her pleas for attention.

(He is having a good time I promise.  We are just shaking things trying to get them both to look and smile at the same time.  Clearly, we had no success)
Sisters think tiaras are hilarious.  Brothers agree.


2013 was a Roller Coaster!  I am so glad we were on it.  I learned so much and have gained so much. But, I wouldn't mind if 2014 was a little less eventful ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment